Chicken & Herb Dumplings Soup
Chicken & Herb Dumplings Soup is another classic dish made with leftovers. (In African American vernacular “soup” is omitted thus implied; we just call it Chicken & Dumplings.) The leftover in this instance is a whole chicken. Take the carcass or what remains of it, and make an incredible new dish that will please you just as much as the initial incarnation; perhaps, more so. Use my Rosemary Chicken recipe for the former. You can use a whole chicken and cut it into pieces which is the most economical option. Or you can buy chicken parts, however cutting a whole chicken is not as daunting as you may imagine. A sharp knife is the most critical component. Practice is the second.
Dawn Wooten is a classic too. She is a classic Black woman in the sense she has the temerity to speak up. She looks out for fellow co-workers; their employer fails to inform guards when detainees are infectious. She then went further. Women were sterilized against their will. Dawn filed a complaint against her employer. A doctor “the uterus collector” seems to be responsible. Is Dawn what people mean when they call us an angry, black woman? If so, I see why certain people find us objectionable.
Believe me when I assert, the same Black women that make wonderful Chicken & Herb Dumplings Soup, that will roll out a perfect cobbler crust with so much care and nurturing, effortlessly. The very same woman will successfully lead an army of soldiers against the British Empire or any formidable enemy. Dawn Wooten is a national heroine marinated in the spirit of Fannie Lou Hamer. Mrs. Hamer herself was in fact sterilized without her consent by a White doctor. Sterilization of Black women, to reduce our numbers, was so widespread it was dubbed a “Mississippi appendectomy.” Dawn deserves our respect, as does Shelia Jackson-Lee. May we receive our roses now. https://www.gofundme.com/f/protect-whistleblower-dawn-wooten
Chicken & Herb Dumplings Soup
- Paring Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Wooden Spoon
- Large Covered Pot
- 1 4lb. Organic Stewing Chicken
- 1 tbsp Organic Celery, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Organic Red Onion, minced
- 1 tbsp Real Salt
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Medium Organic Carrot, sliced
- 1½ cups Organic Flour
- 2 tsp Organic Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt
- 1 tbsp Organic Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 tsp Dill Rosemary can replace Dill
- 1 tsp Organic Green Onions, minced Red Onions can replace Green
- ¾ cup Organic Milk
- ¼ tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- Cut chicken into pieces. Place in pot with just enough water to cover chicken.
- Add seasonings and sliced carrot. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours.
- Sift flour, baking powder and Jane's Krazy Salt together.
- Cut Earth Balance into flour with pastry blender, two knives or fingers until the mixture resembles corn meal.
- Stir in dill, onions and pepper.
- Add milk and stir only enough to mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into boiling chicken broth.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.