Chocolate Laced Triple Ginger Cookies
I believe I am known as a talker. The actions that occurred in North Carolina over the weekend have nevertheless rendered me virtually mute. Yet, I realize I have to resist the urge to shut up and cook. If police feel embolden enough to pepper spray eager Black voters and children, I have to match that same level of intensity. Just like my foremothers before me in New Orleans who sold West African calas on Sundays, their one day off, I must persevere. Not that Chocolate Laced Triple Ginger Cookies will lead to any remarkable transcendence. My prayer is my loud mouth will shame the devil. If not shame him then perhaps his foot soldiers.
The ginger root is a staple in West Africa cooking and throughout the African diaspora. A strong anti-oxidant, the health benefits of ginger are numerous. Not only will it strengthen our immune systems but it is a powerful anti-inflammatory helping to alleviate arthritis pain. Ginger is also a potent help in prevention of colorectal and ovarian cancers.
I knew the chocolate that could contend with the forward flavor of the three types of ginger used in the Chocolate Laced Triple Ginger Cookies would have to contain a good amount of cacao. I decided to go with Divine Dark Chocolate “a British purveyor of Fairtrade chocolate.” Not only does the Divine Dark Chocolate bar contain 85% cacao, it also has 6 grams of fiber per 3 squares and very little sugar. Beginning last month, the African cocoa farmers who produce 70% of the world’s chocolate, forced overdue industry changes. The world is evolving. Brew a bit of tea, add Lisa’s Cherry Cheesecake Bars for a superior holiday dessert table, bite this cookie then let’s get to work.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1 Large bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Wooden Spoon or Mixing Spatula
- Paring Knife
- Small Ice Cream Scoop (optional)
- 13×18 Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat (optional)
- 2¼ cup Organic Flour
- 1½ cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips I used Guittard 85% Semisweet Dark Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1 stick Salted Butter, room temperature
- 1½ cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 cup Organic Walnuts
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Organic Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder Non GMO
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Organic Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Pillows
- ½ cup Organic Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Organic Cane Sugar
- ¼ tsp Organic Vanilla
- 2 dashes Redmond's Real Salt
- Prepare cream cheese pillows.
- Using a ¼ tsp, scoop the cream mixture onto a plate lined with parchment or wax paper. Place into the freezer for 1 hour.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Cream butter with sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Place parchment paper or silicone pad on top of cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, form dough into one inch balls. Place onto the parchment paper 1½ inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Rotate the cookie sheet and bake for 8 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool at least 5 minutes and serve.
- Makes 16 to 24 cookies.