Crispy Chicken with Garlic & Rosemary
Contrary to what many believe, I don’t know one person of color that is loco about the pollo. Sure, it’s a wonderful entree option, that I rarely dine upon, but when I do it is not FRIED but baked very slowly, until the meat is falling off the bone, tender. Crispy Chicken with Garlic & Rosemary is about to become your full-proof, go-to chicken recipe for wings, whole birds and everything in between.
I became a vegetarian in 1984 when I was 21 years of age. I remained a vegetarian for 20 years when I transitioned into a pescatarian because I noticed as I was aging my body would not gain muscle mass. More protein seemed to be the answer. I prefer to rely upon legumes like Navy Beans for my protein then occasionally enjoy chicken. Plants first is a basic tenet of the African-American Heritage Diet.
Jalapeno Apple Butter Chicken came about after I bought homemade Jalapeno Apple Butter from the Tohono O’odham table at my favorite farmer’s market. (Thanks for the inspiration ‘yall)! The key is to always start with kosher or organic chicken – it lacks antibiotics and hormones – the best method is to buy the whole bird and cut it yourself because it’s less expensive than purchasing cut up parts. Crispy Chicken with Garlic & Rosemary would be excellent on the grill, or in the oven, and goes amazingly well with the red potatoes I usually prepare with them or even a Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole.
Crispy Chicken with Garlic & Rosemary
- 2 quarters Kosher or Organic Chicken Thigh and leg
- 6 Organic New or Red Potatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt
- ½ tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- ½ tbsp Frontier Co-op Turmeric Twist Savory Blend
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- You may begin the marinating process 1 day to 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Place thawed chicken into a large baking then add the garlic, lemon juice and rosemary making sure to place pieces of minced garlic and rosemary underneath the skin of the chicken. You can achieve this by making small cuts into the skin and place the herbs into the pockets.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and place dish in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook it.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator, throw away the plastic wrap and allow the meat to return to room temperature approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash & cut new potatoes into wedges and season with a small portion of the Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining seasonings. Remove any exposed rosemary or garlic, by either placing it securely under the chicken or removing it entirely from the dish, because they will otherwise burn.
- Cook the chicken for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the potatoes.
- Baste the chicken by carefully spooning the liquid that has formed in the bottom of the dish over the meat and uncooked potatoes.
- Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and return the baking dish to the oven for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes from the oven and baste again.
- Return the chicken and potatoes to the oven for 20 more minutes, then baste again.
- Baste the chicken and potatoes every 20 minutes until the juices run clear and the leg easily separates from the thigh.
- Serve immediately.
16 thoughts on “Crispy Chicken with Garlic & Rosemary”
LOL! I must be one of the rare ones who love (and will eat) chicken in any way, shape, or form. This recipe truly delivered on its crispy title. I loved the added garlic and rosemary flavors, as well.
Lol, no shame in that Marta – we love what we love! Thank you kindly.
Perfectly crispy and flavorful. I will be making this chicken again. Thanks!
I appreciate you Jazz!
Thanks a lot Jazz!
This chicken came out so flavorful and tender. The meat just slid off the bone. Great recipe!
Thank you Jessica!
Tender is the goal, thanks Jessica!
This was such a simple recipe but it had so much flavor! I really enjoyed how crispy the skin was and with the potatoes, this was so delicious!
Thanks for your kind words Britney!